Skip to content

Narrow screen resolution Wide screen resolution Auto adjust screen size Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size default color brick color green color
CAFCOR Forum
_GEN_GOTOBOTTOM Post Reply
TOPIC:
CAFCOR ()
What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/04 07:29  
As CAFCOR is in its organizational infancy, we invite condominium unit Owners and Directors to comment on those services we currently offer and to suggest any further services which would be beneficial to our condominium community in Ontario and in the rest of Canada.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
argonut ()
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/04 17:02  
1. Build a data base of candidate PM's willing to discuss with and advise condo owners with problems with their PMC and BOD. The incentive to PMs could be the eventual business of that condo (i.e. positive leads). This list could be by cities or areas and might eventually be developed as a webform for the PMs to fill.

2. The CAFCOR webmaster might consider developing a webform for owners to fill in prior (or as a first step) to contacting "info AT cafcor DOT ca" with some (*) required fields. This would serve as encouragement for owners to start the ball rolling at their end. It would also provide cafcor with an indication of the magnitude of the problem.

Each of these could be discussed in separate topics if necessary.

Regards, argonut

P.S. Your efforts much appreciated. Thanks
Yvon ()
User Offline
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/04 18:30  
Hello Argonut,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have forwarded your post to the Webmaster as well as to the executive committee for discussion at our 3 day policy retreat in August.

As for PM's willing to discuss, CAFCOR already provides such a service. We have a Condominium Manager who is available for discussion and consultation at;

(416) 747-8889 ext. 2
wotan ()
User Offline
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/04 20:06  
Here is a start from me:

1) Database of PMCs/PMs, Engineers, Auditors, Solicitors, and other professionals which condominiums can relay on. These professionals should be those who have a good, solid reputation for actually doing a good job. I believe such a dtatbase would be of serious interest to directors and owners who want/need/require reliable and professional assistance.

2) Long-term, how about seminars in different towns and cities to better explain the rights and responsibilities of directors and owners (but, unlike seminars put on by other groups, CAFCOR should hold them in a central part of the towns and cities they are in - for example, downtown Toronto rather than in the west, east, or North Toronto.)

3) Politicall Pressure. For example, this fall when we have the Leaders' Debates for the Ontario Provincial Election, CAFCOR should be attending these debates and demanding the Leaders take a stand on Condominium Reform. Also, CAFCOR could assist with handouts like "10 questions to ask your riding's MPP candidates about Condominium Reform" for people to ask their candidates. Any pressure that can be placed on the political parties can only be a good thing.
argonut ()
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/04 23:18  
As for PMs, I was thinking locally. In our case here in Ottawa, with our BOD and owners in majority French speaking.

argonut
wotan ()
User Offline
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/05 06:21  
Two more things:

1) Fight to get PMs (and PMCs) provincially regulated. ACMO certified is great, but it seems to mean absolutely nothing, especially when its members are disciplined and then have their "dscipline" hushed up. If PMs/PMCs are regulated, and disciplined properly (i.e. they lose their right to have their designation), it may actually help the industry.

2) The spam on this forum has to stop.
Yvon ()
User Offline
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/05 07:37  
Hello Wotan,

1) Actually, CAFCOR is presently discussing this very issue.

2) I can confirm that CAFCOR is presently developing information and educational programs. Stay tuned for updates. I'm certain that some programs will be held in "downtown" Toronto.

3) CAFCOR does take a very active role in lobbying all three (3) main political parties in Ontario on behalf of condominium unit Owner rights. We have attended at every political function that has involved "condominium issues" and we fully intend to become involved in every "major" political debate in this election campaign. Your suggestions are very interesting Wotan and we will most certainly discuss same at our August policy sessions. As well, any unit Owner or Director may contact CAFCOR to request our assistance in organizing "all candidates" debates or "town hall" meetings on "condominium issues" for the benefit of the unit Owners in their respective Corporations or several Corporations together.

With respect to your other two (2) issues;

1) CAFCOR does believe that PMs should be regulated but that ACMO is not the organization to be charged with such a task. Presently, as you correctly stated, this profession is not regulated by the provincial government. Secondly, CAFCOR encourages and assists Boards of Directors to engage "independent" PMs who will work directly for the Corporation and not a PMC. Condominium Corporations are not "rental buildings" and unit Owners are not "tenants". PMCs should remain in their element of property management of rental (apartment) buildings. We have elected Boards of Directors who can and should oversee PMs, not PMCs oversseeing BODs.

2) Our Website Administrator is currently in the U.S. on business and we will discuss this very important matter of "spam prevention" upon his return next week.

Thank you Wotan for your most valuable contributions to this Discussion Forum and we look forward to addressing your concerns and suggestions as is the case with all of our participants and contributors. Thanks again!
Yvon ()
User Offline
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/05 08:15  
Hello Again Argonut,

Unfortunately, at present, CAFCOR has no personel in the National Capital Region. We do however, have several french/english speaking individuals on our staff who can deal with french language enquiries or complaints from our Francophone brothers and sisters. As well, we have a professional PM on staff to deal with Property Management issues and who can be reached by telephone, fax or by e-mail from our "Contact Us" page.. All enquiries and/or complaints are kept confidential.

CAFCOR has already assisted several Unit Owners and Directors in Ottawa, much to their satisfaction. As we grow, we will most certainly endeavour to have representatives on the ground to service the 751+ registered Corporations in Ottawa/Carleton. Of course, CAFCOR representatives already travel thousands of kilometers each and every month and we would most certaintly attend anywhere in the Province on an "as required" basis.
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/05 15:41  
Many tradespeople and business (suppliers) will not work in condos, or grumble greatly when asked to.

If CAFCOR could develop a database of tradespeople, on the order of the one on the Canadian Home Builders site, I think it would greatly increase the visibility of the organization.

Political goals are long range goals - getting a new heat pump installed is a short range one.
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/05 16:27  
Hello Slushcan,

We think the idea of a trades database is a great one, especially if it can be done without compromising the independence of CAFCOR.

Can you elaborate on your comment that “Many trades and business (suppliers) will not work in condos, or grumble greatly when asked to”? I think this could be a very useful thread here.
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/05 17:21  
Richard wrote:
Hello Slushcan,

We think the idea of a trades database is a great one,

<snip>

Can you elaborate on your comment that “Many trades and business (suppliers) will not work in condos, or grumble greatly when asked to”? I think this could be a very useful thread here.

Certainly, Richard... I've owned a condo since '89, and have run across this several times before, but right now I'm looking to find someone to do a rebuild of our shower enclosure.

A couple of places I called, that looked likely, stated outright that they didn't "do work in condos." I suppose I could have asked why, but this isn't something the person answering the phone can usually reply to, and my interest is more in getting the work done than in trying to change ingrained attitudes and policies.

Also, one that I have had come in wanted to plop a pre-fab unit down, rather than rebuild the old, and didn't seem to "get it" that while a pre-fab might be okay for a secondary washroom, as in the basement of a house, in the main washroom of a mid-scale condo, it isn't appropriate and would decrease the value of the unit (not to mention, look ugly.)

I had the same sort of problem getting a heat-pump replaces several years back, after leaks ruined the old one (which is entirely another story.)

Simply put, condos are widely considered second-class housing and a second-class market. Such is the perception.

A listing of trades that don't feel this way, and have done work in condos, could become an invaluable resource and, perhaps, a source of funding for the organization?
argonut ()
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/05 18:29  
Hi Yvon,

Thanks for your reply.

As well, we have a professional PM on staff to deal with Property Management issues and who can be reached by telephone, fax or by e-mail from our "Contact Us"

Glad you referred me to your "Contact Us" link. In essence the form there is essentially what I was suggesting as the basis for a Webform to contact info at CAFCOR.

This shows that when one is deeply interested with what is going on in the FORUM, we tend to forget to consult the CAFCOR web (at least that's my case). You might think of making reference to your web using links more frequently as reminder in the forum.

I've moved CAFCOR home page link in a more pre-eminent position in my bookmarks .

Regards, argonut
Vince ()
Re:What would you like to see from CAFCOR and what can we do for You? 2007/08/06 15:24  
I'm not very optomistic that the corrupt condo industry will ever change but we'll see what cafcor can accomplish. BTW, I own a number of condos in various buildings and the boards and managers are corrupt in every single one.
_GEN_GOTOTOP Post Reply
contact webmaster