Skip to content

Narrow screen resolution Wide screen resolution Auto adjust screen size Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size default color brick color green color
CAFCOR Forum
_GEN_GOTOBOTTOM Post Reply
TOPIC:
Greg ()
Is damage caused by a private hot water tank responsibility of the Corporation? 2007/07/30 00:23  
We have hot water tanks installed in units. Most of them are rented from Enbridge. Recently one of them burst and caused damage to the unit's floor and the carpet outside. Who would be responsible for fixing the damage?

Greg
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Jony ()
Re:Is damage caused by a private hot water tank responsibility of the Corporation? 2007/07/30 02:31  
I dont know the answer but I will suggest you to read the Enbridge aggreement.
Re:Is damage caused by a private hot water tank responsibility of the Corporation? 2007/07/31 23:59  
I agree, if the tank is rented contacting Enbridge 1st and also reviewing the documents should be the first step, otherwise I would bring the matter forward to the board and management to have a maintenance program in place and have Enbridge advise as to what is required by the unit owners.
Roland ()
User Offline
Re:Is damage caused by a private hot water tank responsibility of the Corporation? 2007/08/01 09:08  
After extensive reading of the Condo Act, it would appear that since the new act in 2001, the corporation is responsible for repair after damage of a standard unit (if not an error or ommission, negligence, fraud, etc. on the part of the owner).

The only factor remaining to determine, was a by-law passed to extend the corporation insurance deductible cost to the owner in all cases of damage?

The corporation should immediately call Enbridge and notify of the damage and give two options:
1) either you share in the cost of damage with the unit owner's isurance or

2) Inspect all Embridge rental tanks and sign a waiver that the tank is in good condition and Enbridge takes full responsibility.
_GEN_GOTOTOP Post Reply
contact webmaster